P.W. McLELLAN Hon FNZPPA
- 1962 OCTOBER Purchased Thorpe Studios from Elga Hinton
who had owned the Studio since the 30's.
- In those days we use 6x4 B&W sheet film in the camera below with tungsten
light for portraits & Studio weddings, used Leicas
and carried heavy flash units for candids.
- 1963 MARCH Was accepted as a member of NZPPA
- 1964 OCTOBER Accepted as member of Professional Photographers
- 1965 MARCH Elected Secretary of Auckland region NZPPA
- 1966 MARCH Elected Chairman of Auckland region NZPPA
- JUNE Organized and ran a portrait seminar on with
Barry Woods FNZPPA in Auckland
- OCTOBER Installed first color processing plant.
- 1967 MARCH Re elected Auckland region Chairman NZPPA
- JUNE Organized education seminar Barry Woods FNZPPA
- AUGUST Responsible for organizing NZPPA National
- 1968 MARCH Re-elected Chairman Auckland region NZPPA
- MAY Organized three seminars throughout New Zealand
on heavy oil coloring with Viva Fay Lefter CR Photoq
from Spingfield Missouri U.S.A.
- AUGUST Elected Educational Director for New Zealand
- OCTOBER Attended Photokina and visited Studios in
fourteen countries round the world
- 1969 MARCH Re-elected Chairman Auckland region
Organized Portrait seminar for Phi I Jauncey FNZPPA.
Arranged for Virginia Stern CR Photog to lecture
In Napier and afterwards to run two seminars
- Re-elected Educational Director NZPPA
- 1970 JUNE Organized National Wedding seminar in New Plymouth
Re-elected Educational Director NZPPA
Organized commercial course in Palmerston North
with Guy Mannering FNZPA
Organized portrait seminar in Auckland with Greg
- 1971 JUNE
Organized portrait seminar in Auckland with Barry
Re-elected education director for NZPPA
Undertook a study tour of America visiting twenty
one Studios in fourteen cities
First two full color wedding completed and five
more booked making my Studio the first in New Zealand
to be actively promoting full color weddings
- 1972 JUNE Organized education seminar in Auckland on
Portraiture with Greg Royle FNZPPA
Article published in PP of A magazine
Re-elected Education Director for NZPPA
Completed training with color printing with Nord
- Attended Winona with Monte Zucker M.Photog Cr.
- Attended St Louis School of Candid Photography with
Ordered a complete color plant from Nord
- 1973 JUNE Became a qualified member - Portrait and General
Elected member of the qualification board of five
for awarded the Q certificates remaining on the
hoard until 1985
educational seminar on Commercial with Guy Mannering
Re-elected Educational Director for NZPPA
Junior Vice President NZPPA
- 1974 MAY Organized Dick Atamian M Photog CR to be highline
speaker at NZPPA National Convention and afterwards
to run two seminars
Organized portrait seminar with Barry Woods FNZPPA
Attended PP of A convention Los Angeles
NZPPA conference in Christchurch supervised the
running of the seminars by Dick Atamian M Photog
to the position of Senior Vice President NZPPA
Organized and supervised the running of a wedding
seminar with Monte Zucker M Photog Cr.
- 1975 JANUARY Opened Chromatek Color Laboratories
Organized and supervised three portrait seminars
with Joyce Wilson M. Photog Cr.
Attended PMA Chicago
Became a foundation member of WIP
- Organized Jason Hailey M Photog FASP as keynote
speaker for NZPPA National Convention in Wanganui,
Organized Elma Evans Ph.A.L to do program at NZPPA
National Convention followed by two seminars
- AUGUST Elected President NZPPA and ran two oil color
seminars with Alma Evans Ph.A. L.
Attended Australia National Convention "Hypo
'75" in Canberra Australia
- 1976 MARCH Attended a National Convention in Australia
Organized Phillip Charis M Photog Cr. FASP as the
key note speaker for the NZPPA National Convention
Lead a tour of fifteen New Zealand Photographers
on a fact finding tour of Studios across America,
finishing up at PP of A Washington
Presided over a National Convention as President
and hosted Phillip Charis FASP, M Photog Cr.
Gave seminar on how to enter the School Photographic
Organized seminar on Better Business Management
with myself and two others as speakers.
- 1977 FEBRUARY Attended APCL convention. Visited
with Kodak in Rochester
Ran seminar with Al Gilbert M Photog Cr. of Toronto
Canada and John Pforr MIP of Brisbane Australia
with sixty people
Organized seminar with Ian Hawthorne from Geelong
Australia in Wellington
seminar with Jack Curtis from Santa Monica California
costing article for New Zealand Studio's
Bill McIntosh M Photog Cr. for our National Convention.
Attended National Convention and hosted Bill McIntosh
M Photog Cr.
Organized three seminars in New Zealand for Lisle
Ramsey Cr. Photog of St Louis Missouri.
Thorpe Studio to its new owner
- 1978 JANUARY Attended Western States convention in California
Attended North Carolina convention in Raleigh North
PMA trade show and Convention
in Chicago APCL convention in Las Vegas
Organized seminar with Lisle Ramsey Cr. Photog in
three different locations throughout New Zealand
Attended a managerial seminar Organized and ran
a seminar featuring Rocky Gunn M Photog Cr.
Was speaker on Business Management to the Seattle
Attended NZ National Photographers Convention
a computer seminar in Seattle Washington
Longbeach P.P.A convention at Long Beach
a work study at Sirlin Studio Sacramento
a work study at Markow Studios Phoenix
a work study at Charis Studios Pasadena
a work study at Color Rich Color Labs San Diego
Organized and ran a portrait seminar featuring Joyce
Wilson M Photog Cr. in three different locations
Organized a bridal seminar in Taupo New Zealand
- 1979 JANUARY Studied staff relations with Rollie Waters,
seminar with D Feltner Cr. Photog on photography
work studies at Hallmark Color Lab in Connecticut
Hallmark College of Photography, Connecticut,
Fine Art Color tabs New York City
APCL convention Atlanta Studied with Veronica Cass
school of retouching Tampa Florida
Organized seminar with Veronica Cass on negative
and print retouching in Pukekohe and Christchurch
Organized and supervised a seminar on family group
photography featuring Richard Wallace
Gave a travel award to a New Zealand Photographer
to study in Australia
Attended Photina - '79 National Convention in Australia
Granted Associate standing at the Institute of Management
- 1980 JANUARY Attended Rocky Mountain convention Denver
APCL convention in Las Vegas
with the Keens in San Diego
- Gave a Travel Award for the Champion Wedding Portrait
to a Photographer to visit America
Organized and ran a seminar with Don Feltner
of Denver and Bud Reese of Omaha Nebraska
Organized Don Blair M.Photg Cr. to be key note speaker
at NZPPA National Convention in Christchurch
Attended National Convention in Christchurch and
hosted Don Blair M Photog.
awarded "Order of the Garter" for service
to New Zealand Photographers
APCL Southern Regional Convention in Atlanta Georgia
Attended PP of A National Convention in Atlanta
a work study visit to Silvano Color Labs - Toronto
Visited with Al Gilbert - Toronto to see his new
trends in Portraiture
study of AC Color Laboratories Cleveland Ohio
with Bud Reese and Donald Jack in Omaha Nebraska
seeking new trends in portraiture
Organized and supervised three seminars with Lisle
Ramsey from St Louis Missouri
- 1981 JANUARY
Attended APCL convention in Florida
Regional Convention in Atlanta
Rocky Mountain convention in Denver Colorado
a computer seminar in Austin Texas
work study visit with Primary Color Laboratories
Organized and ran Air Brush Seminar featuring Henry
Van Westrop M Photog Cr. from Chicago
and ran a seminar with Leon Kennamer M Photog Cr.
from GuntersviIle Alabama and Ian Howell from Victoria
a travel award for Champion print to a Photographer
to visit America
Attended North Carolina Convention in North Carolina
WPI convention in Las Vegas
Attended PP of A Convention in St Louis Attended
Convention in Australia
Attended National Convention NZPPA
Organized and ran Portraiture for the '80's featuring
Patsy Hodge M Photog Cr., Elen Bak M Photog Cr.,
Evelyn Langeman Cr. Photog.
- 1982 FEBRUARY Attended APCL Business Management Seminar
Rocky Mountain Convention Denver
further with Don Feltner Cr. Photog on marketing
an advanced software training in Austin Texas
PMA convention Las Vegas
Organized and ran a retouching print seminar featuring
Jane Conners of the Veronica Cass School of Retouching
Organized and ran a Air Brush Seminar featuring
Henry Van Westrop M Photog Cr. from Chicago
Attended National Convention NZPPA
Organized seminar with Joyce Wilson M Photog Cr.
into a new Color Laboratory
article on Business Management published in NZPPA
Magazine Close Up
- 1983 JANUARY Organized a seminar featuring Donald Jack
M Photog Cr. from Omaha Nebraska
away a travel award to America to champion Family
Group Portrait Went on tour of America visiting
Labs and Studios
APCL convention in San Francisco
PP of A Indiana Indianapolis
South Regional Convention in Atlanta
with Leon Kennmar M Photog Cr. in his Studio in
GuntersviIle Visited with Veronica Cass School of
- Attended Sales Conference in the Charis Studios
Organized and ran seminar with Lisle Ramsey Cr.
Photog from St Louis Missouri, Tom and Etta McCathry
from Paducah, Kentucky
seminar on transproofs with Jack Peterson Cr. Photog
in two different centers in N.Z.
Organized and ran a seminar with Van Moore M Photog
Cr. Greenville, South Carolina
Attended PP of A convention in Dallas
with Bill Worline M Photog Cr. in Chicago,
- Dick Atamian M Photog Cr. at the Brooks Institute
Attended NZPPA National convention Received the
Gold Award for outstanding service to NZPPA
- 1984 JANUARY Bought Jane Conners into New Zealand for
five months to set up an Art Department and run
- Organized and ran a seminar featuring Bill Worline,
M Photog Cr. from Chicago on how to photograph groups
Organized and ran a Business Management Seminar
featuring Evelyn Langeman from the Lisle Ramsey
Organization in St Louis U.S.A.
PMA convention in Las Vegas
- Invited guests to Camera Craftsman meeting in Washington
- Attended PP of Virginia Convention at Virginia Beach
with Van Moore in Greenville in South Carolina U.S.A.
Attended PP of A Convention in Atlantic City U.S.A.
a Studio update with Joyce Wilson
an intensive of study Burrell Color Lab of Indiana
a study on computers in three Labs in the Pacific
Organized Joe Butts from San Diego as keyline speaker
for NZPPA Convention
Attended National Convention NZPPA hosting Joe Butts
a seminar featuring Joe Butts on Wedding Photography
Organized a commercial seminar in three cities featuring
Dick Atamian FASP M Photog Cr., Brooks Institute
- 1985 JANUARY Organized a seminar featuring Tibor Horvath
M Photog Cr. from Canada Ian Hawthorne from Geelong
Australia and Linda Lapp M Photog Cr. from Portland
Awarded by the International Professional Photographers
Guild an Award for Service to New Zealand professional
a seminar Evelyn Langeman Cr. Photog Seminar in
three centers throughout New Zealand
Presented to NZPPA a set of print judging machines
- AUGUST Attended National Convention NZPPA
- Appointed Historian NZPPA
a seminar with Veronica Cass from Veronica Cass
School of Retouching Florida on negative retouching
Organized two seminars with Dixie Lavel M Photog
Cr. from St Louis Missouri on general print finishing
and print enhancement
Visited Winnipeg Color Canada and did an intensive
study on how they ran their Lab
a participant in the Youth Salute Program in St
- Visited Meizel Color Labs in Atlanta
time with Joesph Lust Virginia
- Attended APL Trade Fair in Birmingham, England
with Peter Dyer FBIPP, Desmond Groves FBIPP,
Charles Green BIPP in London
- 1986 FEBRAURY Organized a seminar with Joesph Lust of
Norfork Beach Virginia and Ted Smerchansky Cr. Photog
of Winnipeg Canada
Did a tour of England visiting Portrait Fellows
throughout the UK
Attended PP of A Convention in Los Angeles
Photographers in Denmark
- Visited Photographers in Norway
Attended NZPPA convention, Awarded Honorary Fellowship
for services to NZ photography.
NOV Visited Japan Holland and Scotland, Attended
BIPP Convention at Blackpool England
- 1987 JULY did extensive tour of China visiting 4 different
areas with group of about 40 Americans.
Attended NZPPA Convention showed the resulting images
and as a result of the comments did a one man show
of 250 images in a exhibition called ""The
Faces of China" in Five city's throughout
- 1988 APRIL Traveled back to China by myself to cover
four different areas expanding my library of "The
Faces Of China"
Returned to China to explore areas for my 250, one
man Exhibition Called "The Faces of the Silk
- 1989 MAY Lead a Group of four Photographers on
a Photographic tour of Turkey covering a area described
as a large circle of eight with the centre on Ankara
and the outside loop round Mt Ararat. Photographs
from this Safari made up my third one man exhibition
called "The Faces of Turkey"
- 1992 OCTOBER Published "What every bride should
know about Professional Photography" a booklet
showing Brides what to look for and what they should
expect from qualified wedding photographers. This
was distributed free throughout NZ.
- 1992 NOVEMBER Led a invitational group of three
to Nepal to do a documentary coverage of the
main areas and the people and their places. The
resulting photographs are still waiting for action
from the writer.
- 1993 Sold Chromatek to Kodak
- 1993 Attended the PPA Conference Nashville
- 1993 toured England, Wales, Ireland, England, France, Italy, Germany, and back to England.
- 1994 Co reorganized of NZPPA to INZPP which in retrospect
some major weakness were not addressed resulting,
in the writers option, in some of the chaos that
- 1994 toured Belgian, Germany, Czech Republic, Germany, France, England
- 1995 Organized National conference for Chromatek
with three international speakers
- 1995 Ran a Costing seminar for a selected group
- 1996 Managed Chromatek for three months while they
were looking for a replacement manager. after which
I announced that I was retiring from photography
- 1996 toured England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Estonia, Germany and back to England.
- 1996 Shifted to Christchurch
- 1997 MARCH Exhibition of Faces of Turkey in
Christchurch Photographic Society and was asked
to serve on the committee orgisioning the 1999 PSNZ
Convention in Christchurch.
Right knee replaced with a titanium replacement.
- 1998 MARCH Open a Mini Lab to fill up one of the empty
shops that I had purchased. Fount it interesting
printing photos for ordinary people showing them
what was possible from their negatives. Enjoyed
building up a small business to a degree where it
would support a full time staff by Nov.
Had the Right knee replaced, now can walk again
and ready for travel.
- 1999 APRIL Started learning Visual Basic 6 programming
language to write software in my spare time.
Decided to publish a web page so started to learn
Published a compressive Photographic web page.
- 2000 OCT as four of the shops are now rented it was time
to close down the Mini Lab. It was a interesting
experience and it made him aware of just how few
people have their photographs taken by a professional.
- 2001 toured thro Rajasthan and Cuba
- 2002 toured thro USA Mexico France Russia Malta & Paris, UK and Scotland
- 2003 toured thro Ukraine,
Crimea, London, London to Crete, Around Crete by car, Santorini Syros Crete, Helsinki NZ Poland, Gdansk Poland, St Petersburg,
Moscow, Vietnam, Hanoi, Hue - Siagon, Siagon area
- 2004 toured thro Singapore, Pakistan, Oman, Egypt,
Auschwitz, Around Poland, Warsaw, Romania, Bulgaria,
- 2005 toured thro France, Germany, Holland
- 2006 toured thro Germany, England, Denmark,
Norway, Finland, Estonia,
- 2007 toured thro Holland,Italy, France,Spain, Portugal
Up thro England to Orkney, thro Skye down to Wales
- 2008 toured thro Holland,
Hungary, thro Scandinavian to
Ukraine & Chernobyl
- 2009 toured thro Germany, Austria, Hungary,
Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Czech Rep,
on thro Germany, France, south of England back to Holland
- 2010 from Holland through Germany, Switzerland, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Greece, Turkey, Macedonia, Serbia, Bosnia, Hungary, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Germany and back to Holland.
- 2011 from Holland through Germany to Switzerland, Spain, Morocco, back to Spain, France, England, Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales, and back to Holland.
- 2012 from Holland, Germany, Czech Republic, Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, China,, Afghanistan, Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Germany and back to Holland
- 2013 from Holland through Germany to Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Sweden, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Ukraine, Poland, Germany and back to Holland
- 2014 from Tucson Arizona on route 66 to Chicago, Minneapolis, Thunder Bay Canada, Across dirt to Calgary, up thro Dawson city to Fairbanks Alaska, Anchorage, back down through Vancouver, Oregon, California to Tucson Arizona.
- 2015 from Phoenix Arizona, up the Californian coast to Seattle, across Washington Monte Carlo Wyoming South Dakota to Minneapolis, on thro Chicago Michigan to Niagara Falls, up over the great Lakes through Wisconsin to Minneapolis, down to Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Nevada and back to Tucson.
See the latest "doings" of Ivan on his travel site...